Hi all! So, here in Charleston we had a pretty cold snap (at least for us). It was about 43 degrees out and I was freezing. I was really craving a hearty bowl of chili. Of course, on the whole 30 plan there are no beans in the diet (if you want to add beans, that’s fine). So, pondering my dilemma, I came up with this no-bean chili recipe.
It’s really yummy, easy, and gave me that comfort food feel. Sometimes, we all just need some comfort food, and this really hit the nail on the head. Feel free to add spices or veggies to your liking, this is just what I had on hand at home.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef (I used turkey)
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cumin (depending on how spicy you like)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder (I don’t always use this)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brown turkey or hamburger in skillet on medium high heat for about 5-7 mins or until completely cooked. Drain.
- Add bell pepper and onion and cook for about 3-5 mins or until they are somewhat tender.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven simmer diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, low-medium heat.
- Add meat mixture and spices to the dutch oven. Simmer for about 30-60 minutes. The longer it cooks the better the flavor.